Thursday 26 January 2017

Self Publishing - Stencil

Nick - 25/01/2017 - Process and Production

In this session, we looked at stencil printing. We were given a subject which we had to create a stencil out of then some words to go over it, lyrics of The Stone Roses ' Bye Bye Badman'.

I was given the word 'sheep' for my subject. I started off creating thumbnail sketches of the different ways I can create a stencil and what parts to cut out, as shown below...


I chose a design and I had to re-draw it to a bigger scale. I had to think about how it would look like on the page like composition and layout of it. I wanted it to be as big as possible so it fills up the whole page. I created a stencil out of the chosen design using a craft knife. I chose one that looked most like a sheep when printed and one that would fill up the page.

The next step was to print the stencil. I used paint and a roller to go over the stencil onto another piece of paper. I chose yellow for the first one because the idea was to make the stencil lighter than the type so the writing would stand out more. First thoughts was I didn't like how the yellow looked because I felt like it's took light and it blends in with the white background so you can't really see the sheep stencil. I did another one but in red, the thought was the opposite of the first one, I wanted to see what would it look like to have the background darker than the writing.


The next step was to add the text, I was given the words 'Drown me in your sweet submission.', I decided to go with the bold, block letters, less details as possible to go with the sheep stencil look. With the yellow sheep stencil, I went with blue writing so it stands out but I felt like I placed the writing too far apart so it doesn't look nice and everything else seems scattered around the page, which I don't like. 

The second one, I decided to place the writing closer to each other which I think helped how it looked but the only thing I don't like is the fact that it's yellow, you can't really see the writing, especially compared to a darker stencil background.




If I had to do it again, I would create a light background other than yellow with a darker writing on top but placed close together like I did with the second poster.

Overall, I enjoyed this session because I like doing psychical designs like printing and drawing so I felt comfortable doing it. Just wish the outcome of my designs looked better.


No comments:

Post a Comment