Saturday 10 December 2016

After Effects Week 3

07/12/2016 - Sara - Process and Production

In this process and production, we looked at the use of hand like drawing something simple or making it on screen and making it move. We looked at techniques like strokes, shape layers and masks.

Before we started, we were shown a video of the kind of thing we were doing today which I found it interesting.

Forest: Just One Day from Johnny Kelly on Vimeo.


Shape from Johnny Kelly on Vimeo.

Before we could start the process, we had to have three drawings of anything we wanted, depending on how good you were at drawing, it could have been something easy like a line drawing or something more complicated. The three drawings should be of the same drawing but traced three times but slightly slightly different in terms of the lines, so when placed together, it will give that moving effect slightly.

I drew an image of a rose, as shown below, because it was simple but elegant. I only did a line drawing of it because I thought that worked best for it. I redrew it another two times but slightly different, I changed some of the position of the lines then I scanned them at high resolution but making sure I aligned them in the same position each time. I was happy with the final look.




The next step was to upload it on Photoshop and improve the drawings by cropping them then creating a new composition of 1920 px by 1080 px with 72 resolution and placing the drawings onto the three new compositions I have created. What I had to make sure was that each drawing was placed in the same position. I came across with my first problem, when I uploaded the drawings, the background of the image was different to the background of the composition, I had two choices, either crop the background of the image which meant I would lose some of the details of the drawings or change the levels of it which meant that the drawings would fade slightly into the background. I decided to change the levels because I liked the way it looked.

I saved each of my drawings 'B_00..' then whatever order they were in, e.g. 'B_001', 'B_002' etc. I did this so that, when I upload it all of the drawings at the same time on After Effects, it will upload it as a sequence and I achieved that by clicking on the sequence buttons when you go to 'options' when uploading it on After Effects.





I had everything set up and uploaded on After Effects. It was time to combine the three images together to create that effect of the object moving. The next problem I encountered was when I played the three images together, it was too quick and it only lasted a couple of seconds and I wanted it to last 10 seconds as that was how long my composition on After Effects was. To solve that problem, I changed some settings, I went to 'project menu' then 'sequence' then 'interpret footage' and changed the loop to 50 and the frame to 25, after that, I clicked on the button that was three horizontal lines, one under the other, then went to 'columns' then 'stretch', this option was for me to increase or decrease the speed of the loop of the images and I changed it to '200%'. If I wanted to increase the speed of it, I would decrease the percentage and If I wanted to decrease the speed, I would do the opposite.




The next step was to find a background for it, I found a watercolour one because I felt like it went with the rose, it's such a rose type of look.

I simply just combined the rose with the background and I think you can see the rose more clearly with this background than a white background but I still prefer a white background.





The last stage was to create a mask layer of my image, since my rose is a line drawing, I had to go over each line separately with the 'pen tool' but connect it at the end and leave it open. I went to 'effect' then 'generate' then 'stroke', this effect was to make the rose look like it is being drawn from scratch, from then, I changed some settings depending on how I wanted the lines I created with the pen tool to move. I went to the 'end' option, clicked on the stopwatch to mark the start of it, changed the 'end' to 0%, made sure the time line was at the start then moved it to how far I wanted it then clicked on the stopwatch again to mark the end of it then changed the 'end' to 100% and finally changed it to 'reveal original image' for all of the mask lines. All of these options could be found on the stroke option panel. Everything I have changed gave the rose the effect of the lines be drawn which can be seen in the video. 

Finally, I put everything together and rendered it. I created two videos, one where I had to include the background to it and the other, where I liked how it looked without a background so I kept it and rendered it.

I enjoyed this session because I liked how I made something I drew come to life and how the video shows the process of drawing the rose which is nice and interesting.




The Simple Rose from Daniel Boscarino on Vimeo.


The Rose from Daniel Boscarino on Vimeo.



No comments:

Post a Comment