Wednesday 15 February 2017

Type and Stencil

Nick - Process and Production - 15/02/2017

In this session, we were given three fonts which were Baskerville Bold, Cooper STD and DIN Alternative. With those fonts, we had to use them to create stencils but we had to create our own type by taking sections of different letters and putting them together to form a new shape.

I started off with Baskerville Bold. Below is what I have created. For the 'f' looking shape, I combined the letter 'f' with the dots from the 'i' and 'j'. The one that looks like a 'u', I obviously used a 'u' with a 'q'. The bottom right one, I combined an 'o', with a 'g' and 'u' and for the final one, I combined a 'w', with an 'l' and an 'h'. I am happy how it turned out cos it looks neat, usually I make it look rough when I use a craft knife.




For the second one, I used DIN Alternative. For the top right, I combined the 'm' with the lines from 'l' and 'i'. The top left is a combination of 'T' and 'U'. The bottom right is a combination of 'J' and 'U' and for the final one, I combined 'D' and 'Q'. I don't like this font as much as the previous one because the previous one has parts that extended beyond the letter which looked interesting. 

This one doesn't look as neat as the other one because I went with a different technique. When I rolled the paint on it, I only slightly pressed it down so that parts of the white background can come through.




For the final one, I used Cooper STD. I decided to go with a different thinking, since I haven't got a logo yet to put on my website, I thought of creating one to see how it looks. Since my website name is Uppercase X, I decided to combine the letters, 'U' and 'X' and below is what I got from it. I like the result of it because it's simple, the only problem is it may look like it's saying 'UK' but I'm fine with it.



Going with the same idea, I decided to experiment with another font to see how it looks. I decided to go with Baskerville Bold because like I stated earlier, I like the parts that extend from the letter. I still used the letters 'U' and 'X' and below is what I got. I kind of like it because it looks sort of a myth creature which is cool, in my opinion, the only problem is, it looks abit rough so I may have to edit it on Photoshop to improve the look.




No comments:

Post a Comment