Monday 13 February 2017

Cinema 4D Session #2

Jay - Process and Production - 8/02/2017

In this session, we looked at dynamics and particle systems for randomised design. This session was split into 3 parts. The first part was to create spheres that would bounce around in a tube, the second part was to create a terrain and the final part was to create a post modernism piece.

Part 1

We started off by creating a shape so we could manipulate it. I created a rectangle and used the extrude option to enlarge the shape and stretch it out. The movement of the tube is 5000cm and the subdivision is 500.



The next step was to change the shape of the tube by twisting the shape. First, I added abit of shading so it looks as realistic as possible, I did that by going to 'display' then 'gourand shading (lines). The next step was to change to the shape, I achieved that by going to 'bend', 'twist' and placed the layer under the rectangle layer. As shown below...




The next step was to open up the shape by getting rid of the closed end part. I did that by going to 'layer', 'object' and changed the mode to unlimited and the angle to 10 degrees, the coord R.P to 90 degrees, then went to the extrude layer, went to 'caps' and changed the start to none and the end to none. I had the shape all sorted the way I wanted, the next step was to add colour so it doesn't look dull, I doubled clicked the bottom box, went to 'basic', ticked 'luminance' then from there, I changed the settings like texture and surface, I changed the U frequency to 0 and the V frequency to 40 to get the look I wanted.





I wanted to block the end part which can be seen in the middle of the image. I blocked it with a sphere. I changed the settings of he sphere to radius - 40cm, the coord P.Z - 500, R.P - 30 and R.B - 40. The next step was to add colour to the sphere, I did it the same way as I did with the other shape but this time, I changed the colours to red and white and this time, I changed the V frequency to 10 and the U frequency to 0. The only problem I had was that the sphere didn't look realistic, to solve that problem, I added a reflection to the sphere so it fits in with its atmosphere. I included a reflection by going to 'material', 'basic' then chose 'reflectance' and changed the texture to 'fresnel'. 

I was also shown, how to change the shape of the tube, for example, if I wanted to change it to a star shaped tube, I simply go to the 'pen tool' option then choose the 'star' option and drag it onto the extrude layer. As shown below....









Now I got the shapes sorted, the next step was to make it move, more specifically, make the sphere move so it looks like it's bouncing around inside the tube. To start the process, I had to add a camera, I did that by simply going to 'camera' then changed some settings by changing them to 0 degrees.

To start making it move, I went to 'stimulate', 'particles' then 'emitter', from there, I changed the coord settings to R.Z - 70cm, then went to particle settings and changed the speed to 200cm, rotation 360 degrees and ticked 'show objects, tick 'render instances'. I placed the sphere layer into the emitter layer but before I could press play, I changed the timeline to 200F. When I played it, the only problem I had was that the balls kept bouncing out of the tube and I wanted it to be kept inside the tube. I solved the problem by changing some settings like I went to the sphere layer, went to 'tags', 'simulation tags' then changed it to rigid body and changed the collision option to static mesh whilst on the extrude layer so the balls don't go out of the tube. I wanted to make realistic by making it look like the balls are going down the narrow tube, to do that, I went to 'mode', 'project' then 'dynamics' and changed the gravity to 10 cm. As shown below...






Part 2

To create a terrain, I simply went to 'cube' then 'plane', I changed the width and height to 1000 x 1000 and the segments to 50 x 50. To make it look real like a terrain, I went to 'bend' then 'displacer' which I then placed under the plane layer, from there, I could edit some settings like the height and shading of the terrain. I changed the height to 50 cm, changed the shading to noise, from there, I changed the noise option by changing the global scale to 500%, the animation speed to 1, that allowed me to press play and see the terrain move.

The next step was to add colour to the terrain, I added colour in the same way as I added colour in part 1, I just slightly changed some settings like the U frequency to 0 and the V frequency to 20. The there difference was that I added gradient in part 2 which I didn't in part 1. I simply went to the luminance option then went to the gradient option and dragged it onto the other material layers. I changed the 'type' to 2D-V, the 'interpolation' to none and doubled clicked the gradient swatch to change the colours. As shown below....











Part 3

The next part was to create a post modernism piece. The idea was to make shapes fly off into the atmosphere.

To start off with, I created a shape by going to 'cube' the 'polygon', after that, I copied and pasted the layer about 6/7 times, some layers having the dimensions of 200 x 2 cm, the other having 70 x 70 cm and the rest having 4 x 200 cm. The reason why I had to create lots of polygon layers was because each will have their own colour. To create the different colours, I had to create different colour materials, two will have the colour black and the rest will have different colours.

To make the shapes move, I went to 'stimulate', 'particles' then 'emitter' and placed all of the polygon layers into the emitter layer. Whilst on the emitter layer, I changed some settings like the angle, the particle, lifetime, variation, birthrate and tick. I highlighted all of the polygon layers and changed the 'object' settings, more specifically the orientation layer to +2.

I included a camera and changed the coord to R.P - 90, R.H - 30, P.X - 0 and P.Z - 0. The last part was to include a background and text which I got taught how to do in the last session. As shown below..











No comments:

Post a Comment