Wednesday 1 February 2017

After Effects Week 4

Sara - Process and Production - 01/02/2017

MGMT - All We Ever Wanted Was Everything from oneedo on Vimeo.

In this session, we were taught how to zoom out and how to make each layer come onto the screen like a sticker, I can't explain it well which is why I have included this video to explain what we did. Watch how the camera zooms out and how each second, there is another layer coming on.

To start off this animation, I had to design a scene, my theme was the universe. This is what I have designed....


I had to make sure that each object was on a different layer and that each layer only contains one colour, which meant, any shadows or details had to be a separate layer. Since I was new to this technique we are learning today, I went for a simple and minimal scene so it's easier to work with. I included the usual stuff that gets related to the Universe like a rocket, stars, planets etc.

Before I could upload it on After Effects, I had to make sure that the artboard extended past the scene in Illustrator because the animation could zoom out to the point where it could go beyond the document size.

After uploading it on After Effects, I just had to set everything up before I start making the video move. I had to make sure the cube setting was on to make it look 3D by going to where the layers were in the bottom box and clicking the cube box next to it, as shown below. The other thing I did was to make sure I could see the top of the video and the front by splitting the screen into two views by going to the settings below the scene, I changed the view to '2 views horizontally' and changed the other setting to 'top'.

The next step was to organise each layer according to how I wanted them look as the video was zooming out. I placed the background and any big objects at the back and anything else at the front. What I had to think about was the further the object was, the quicker the camera would move as it zooms out. As shown below.





After that, I was ready to make my animation move. First thing was to add a camera, I did that by going to 'layer', 'new camera' and made sure the 'preset' was 50mm and the other setting was 'two node camera'. With the camera in place, I had to move it according to how I would want it to move. I moved the camera by moving the Z axis close to the first object which was the background.






To make the camera zoom out, I went to the camera layer, made sure the timeline was at the start and made sure the 'point of interest' and 'position' settings was on by clicking on the little diamond, moved the timeline to the end and moved the camera outwards until it was back to the starting point.


The next step was to add texture to the objects that I wanted. I downloaded 4/5 backgrounds that I liked. To combine it with the other objects, I selected the object that I wanted, went to 'layer', 'pre-compose' and made sure the setting 'leave all attributes in 'universe'' was selected. I double clicked the layer which took me to another composition and I placed the textured background behind the object layer, I clicked on 'toggle switches/modes', then went to 'trkmat' and changed the setting to 'Alpha Matte'. I turned the object layers on then changed the 'mode' to 'multiply'. I did that for every object.







The next step was to make the object look like it's coming on like a sticker. To achieve that look, I went to 'effect', 'distort', 'CC page turn', from there, I changed the settings to suit to my requirements. I changed the 'controls' to 'classic UI' then went to the 'fold direction' setting, chose an object that I wanted it to move, placed the timeline where I wanted it, changed the degrees to 181, then moved the timeline to the end.



This is the final video....

The Universe from Daniel Boscarino on Vimeo.


No comments:

Post a Comment