Thursday 1 December 2016

Self Publishing Session #3

30/11/2016 - Process and Production - Nick

In this session, it was all about redesigning ourselves, the way we look in different ways so what we look like but also, how we see ourselves. We had to do it in different techniques in a shape of a little booklet that opens up vertically and horizontally. Each time it opens, it's a different version of me.

The image below on the right is the cover and it's basically a picture of me, nice and simple to start with. The back page is a drawing of the picture so I had to draw myself based on what I look like in the image. I did it i fine liner so that, if I make a mistake, I can't rub it off like pencil and I like the idea of creating mistakes and try and work with the mistakes to finish the drawing. I would have taken twice as long if I did it in pencil because I would have used the rubber every time I made a mistake.


When you open up the booklet, you will find a photocopied version of me where I placed my face into a photocopier and let it scan and print my face. I like this effect because it's very detailed, you get to see every detail of my face up close and I find it weird.

The only problem is that it may be too dark so my face is not shown clearly.


If you open it even further, the page size gets bigger as you can notice. There is a representation of me made by emojis, I had to create a portrait of myself using emojis, to make it look like a face, I only did the eyes, nose and mouth, basically the main parts of a face so the viewer knows it's a face. It's simple but I feel like it does its job.


For the final page which is the biggest, I had to use sheets of paper that were entirely made of dots but each were different in terms of amount of dots and how big. I had to replicate exactly how I looked like on the first page by using dots. I decided to rip up the paper instead of cutting it nicely with scissors because I like the messy look that ripped paper gives out.

I think it goes well with the other pieces I produced like the fine liner portrait I made which is also messy and loose. I guess it reflects my style and since the booklet is about me, I think it gives the booklet a bit of character and personality behind it.





No comments:

Post a Comment